A lot of people think that decorating with shabby chic furniture is very feminine, but I do not agree. Personally, I think that the particular style of shabby chic is a classic style of decor that has a timeless appeal by using pieces of furniture and art from many different time periods and eras creating a unique decor.
Rachel Ashwell is known for coining the term ‘Shabby Chic’ in the 1980’s when she started a company that sold budget pieces of furniture that looked eclectic and worn, but stylish. Shabby Chic furniture is a combination of many different styles of decor from various time periods, made to look as though they are antiques or vintage furniture, for example 1800’s country french furnishing pieces, or Shaker designs.
This style will turn your living room into a comfortable space with the romance of things that are old or vintage pieces that have a purpose. Your living room will be so wonderful and cozy with the shabby chic style, and it is perfect if you take pride in displaying your most cherished accessories and antiques. And best of all it is possible to create your own shabby chic decor using items in your home and paints.
Painting Shabby Chic Furniture
When painting shabby chic furniture home decorators get an inner sense of pride and save cash because the decorator creates the finished product. With style of painting each piece of furniture is created as the decorator desires. Decorating in the shabby chic style is a comfy, yet stylish look and is also a great way to give new life to vintage items.
Shabby chic shows class and pride in character, and can be used for any room of your home such as the nursery, living room and guest room.
Gather items in your home that are different and then paint them all the same color to make them all look alike.
I will show you some quick tips that will make you very proud of the home you live in.
- Choose pieces that are a bit old and worn out to paint in shabby chic decorating, usually vintage pieces and second-hand items are best for the cause. It is OK if the finishing is in bad shape because they will be painted.
- For painting you must break away from tradition, choose light colors and pastel. Some great choices would be pale pink, lavender, light baby blue, or a pale yellow.
- If the furniture you are painting is made of laminate material, you need to clean it and scrub it with sandpaper, and then apply a good quality primer as a base coat before applying paint.
- Rub candle wax onto the furniture to prevent the paint from sticking, then begin painting by simply adding layers of the selected color. The really good news is that it is possible to paint and create some awesome shabby chic furniture without being a professional painter.
- Use uniformity in your scheme, by choosing identical color fabrics for your curtains and the shades. Consider tea stained fabrics in similar colors and shades in a combination of prints like floral, striped and checked matching the background with the same color.
Creating your own shabby chic furniture and the pride that comes along with it belongs to everyone, even if you don’t have any old furniture anywhere in your house. From thrift shops and garage sales look for pieces of furniture that have some antique lines, or furniture with a lot of curves. You don’t need to spend a lot of money buying pricey furniture and accessories, nothing needs to be bought. Many people that decorate their home in the shabby chic style use odds and ends found anywhere, from broken pottery and vases to outdated luggage and ottomans, with a little bit of creativity you can have a home with shabby chic decor.
If you delight in upgrading old things, you will be so surprised at the variety of options that are available to you with this style of decor. Restore a worn deck chair for living room furniture, fix up old wood using a transparent blue stain paint. Use an arbor intended for your garden and outdoor decor inside your home, or put together items from your grandparent’s homes with special pieces that mean something to you. If you take pride in preserving old furniture these ideas will make you a proud decorator.
Living Room furniture can be pieces you already have and you can sand the paint to make it look worn and antique, or you can just add one layer of paint lightly to the furniture. Decorators may also use several layers of different shades on top of one another, so that the shabby chic piece appears to be from an earlier age, the idea is to break up sets by painting each piece a different color.
Decorating your own pieces in shabby chic will take some time and effort on your part, but the sense of pride and happiness that it brings will make it all worth it. These tips will help you move from dreaming to doing, and with some creativity and hard work you will be amazed at your new home.